Lakes Close to Laramie
It’s summertime so it’s time to pack up and head out for your upcoming big getaway. If you’re looking for a fun destination, consider visiting a lake near Laramie. A lake vacation can be wonderful for people who love getting outside too, as they are a great way to see birds, fish, turtles and other animals in their natural habitat.
There are countless brilliant motivations for making a trip to a lake in Laramie during the warmer months – the cool water for swimming, enjoyable summer entertainment like paddle boarding, kayaking, or swimming. Some of the lakes in Laramie have beaches you can enjoy while building sandcastles with the family. So what are you waiting for? Pack up the car with your beach goodies and a picnic basket then set out on your next vacation and discover a brand new number one location on the water!
Lakes Close to Laramie
Help Us Out!:
Google Map Link:
Other Lakes in the Area:
Things to Do at the Lake
A quick excursion to a lake, or a longer trip provides an almost endless amount of stuff for families or couples.
Any stay on or in the water offers you all the options from partying to restful bliss.
Grab a board. If you want a little physical activity, strap your favorite kayak or paddleboard to the top of your vehicle and find yourself a lake with a public boat launch you can use and start paddling around to enjoy nature’s beauty in all it’s glory.
Catch some fish. For those that love to fish, finding a good fishing hole shouldn’t be too hard to help you reel in a day of fun whether you’re out on a boat or standing on a dock with a beer in one hand and a rod in the other.
Picnic time. Laramie’s lakes gives you the chance to visit many top-notch picnic areas for you to pack up some tasty treats, or just a couple of sandwiches to enjoy by the water. Should you be with someone you want to impress, a picnic on the beach should put a smile on their face.
How to Prepare for a Day at the Lake
A day at the lake can be very different based on which lake you go to, what time of year it is, and what your perfect itinerary looks like. While every trip is its own animal, we took the time to make a list with some of our favorite ideas for your lake getaway to ensure nothing gets forgotten!
When the plan is to be outdoors for the vast majority of the day, the list below is an excellent starting point when it comes to the necessities that you’ll be happy to have on hand.
- Travel dinnerware and cups
- Bluetooth speaker
- Bug spray
- A fully stocked cooler
- Dry shirt
- A beach blanket and umbrella
Additional lake gear
The gear in the list below might prove useful for excursions to the lake considering your itinerary. It’s also worth checking so you’re not missing something critical.
- Beach toys (buckets, shovels, football, frisbee, etc.)
- Your favorite magazine or book
- Something to clean up with like sanitizers or wet wipes
- Fishing and boating licenses
- Wine key
- Fishing poles, nets, etc.
- Rafts for the kids
- Worms or other bait
- Masks and snorkels
- Baby gear (if necessary)
Lake Safety Tips
While your getaway on the lake can be ample amounts of fun, safety should remain top of mind at all times. When you decide to spend a day at the lake here are some general safety tips to keep in mind.
- Always wear sunblock
- Stay close to shore and avoid areas with shallow water or where the current is strong
- Keep your distance from wildlife
- Don’t mix alcohol with swimming
- Make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat
- Be aware of your surroundings and know where you are in relation to land
- Make sure no one swims alone
More Ideas for Lake Fun
Some people may not get a chance to visit the amazing lakes around Laramie and likely have a few questions about how to make the most of their time there. Obviously, each lake near Laramie is going to have their own character and surroundings, but it’s worth noting a handful of items to look into when assembling your itinerary that might help put together a trip your whole family will remember.
- Rent a boat. It’s common that lakes will have nearby marinas that offer boat rentals. Boats are expensive to own, but a rental will still allow you to enjoy a day fishing on the lake or a wild day of wakeboarding. Asking a local will usually allow you to locate a marina that has what you need.
- Make the most of unique local resources. When there’s time for a longer stay, find local state campgrounds and parks which give you the option to camp near or even on the water at an affordable price.
- Research your beaches. Early, mid, or late season, sometimes beaches may be swarmed with beachgoers. To find more space to yourself, research a variety of nearby beaches and lakes to learn about how busy they are if you want a more relaxing vibe. If you want to be where the party’s at, search out the biggest, most popular sandy party scene!