Lakes Around Waco
It’s summertime so it’s time to pack up and head out for your upcoming family vacation. There aren’t many better options than a lake near Waco. Lucky for you, when you visit Waco there are some options when it comes to spending time on the lake.
There are many brilliant arguments for a getaway to a lake in Waco while it’s hot outside – the cool water for swimming, fun summer activities like wakeboarding, fishing, or just relaxing on a raft. You’ll find that some lakes have beaches you can enjoy while building sandcastles with the family. Scan the table directly beneath this paragraph to have a look the nearby locations from swimming lakes with beaches to larger lakes for you to enjoy.
Lakes Near Waco
Help Us Out!:
Other Lakes in the Area:
On a day trip to a lake near Waco you’ll find all kinds of things to do for families, couples, or with a group of friends. You could go for an exciting day trip or take a longer vacation at a hotel or a bed and breakfast on the water to make for a bigger, better getaway.
A day, weekend, or a week on or in the water gives you a full range of activities from thrilling to chilling.
Water sports. If you’re able to get access to a ski boat, why not spend the day flying around the water demonstrating your athleticism and water sports skills? Take the family out for some wakeboarding, skiing, or tubing as the lakes near Waco provide you with a number of choices.
Picnic time. Waco’s lakes gives you the chance to visit a wealth of excellent picnic areas for you to pack up some foods, or just a couple of sandwiches to enjoy as you enjoy the view. If you’re with that special someone, this plan should put a smile on their face.
Catch some fish. For those that love to fish, finding a good fishing hole shouldn’t be too hard to help you reel in a day of fun whether you’re drifting behind a trolling motor or standing on a dock with a beer in one hand and a rod in the other.
Checklist for a Day at the Lake
Everyone’s beach getaway will be unique depending on the lake you’re heading to, what time of year it is, what your goals are for the getaway. However, we took the time to make a list with some of our favorite ideas for your lake getaway so there’s nothing to stress over!
For a day spent on the water you will likely need to bring some of these items to make sure you’re feeling good, healthy, and relaxed.
- Insect repellant
- Travel dinnerware and cups
- Flip flops or water shoes
- Cords and a charger for portable devices
- Radio or speaker
- Dry shirt
- A beach blanket and umbrella
Specialty lake stuff
Consider the itinerary for the day and who will be joining you, the following items will likely be helpful and adding to your checklist before you get on the road.
- Tackle box
- Diapers (if a baby’s on board)
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
- Toys for the beach
- Pool noodles, rafts, floats
- Safety gear like life jackets
- Something to read
- Paper towels and sanitizer
Lake Safety Tips
While the water can provide fun during a day on the lake, failing to follow some simple safety rules can make things turn tragic in a hurry. These safety tips should ensure that you and your family stays safe on the water.
- Don’t swim alone
- Use sunscreen, even if it’s cloudy outside
- Make sure children have swimmies or other approved flotation devices
- Stay close to shore and avoid areas with shallow water or where the current is strong
- Be aware of your surroundings and know where you are in relation to land
- Always wear a life jacket when boating, kayaking or paddle boarding
- Avoid drinking alcohol while boating
More Tips for a Lake Getaway in Waco
If you’re going to visit the fabulous lakes near Waco, you’ll want to remember a couple critical items that will make your weekend gameplan much more rewarding. Case in point, each lake near Waco has unique qualities so it is important to consider what you need to make an unforgettable adventure as you plan yours.
- Rent a boat. It’s common that lakes will have local marinas where you can rent a boat. You don’t need to own a boat to enjoy fishing with family and friends or taking the kids out for some wakeboarding or tubing. Doing a quick Google search will usually allow you to locate a marina that has what you need.
- Pay attention to the beaches. Depending on the time of year, occasionally the beaches near Waco can get very crowded. To find some more space to spread out, research multiple nearby beaches and lakes to see if you can find one that’s less crowded to find one with a slower pace. If you want to be where the party’s at, then look for the biggest, most popular beach!
- Make the most of the best assets in the area. If there’s time for a lengthier getaway, look for local recreational areas, state parks, and campgrounds that offer the option to camp directly on the water at an affordable price.