Lakes Near San Angelo
It’s summertime so it’s time to start planning your upcoming family vacation. There aren’t many better options than a lake near San Angelo. Fortunately, when you make a trip to San Angelo there are lots of options for spending time on the lake.
There are countless great motivations for a getaway to a lake in San Angelo while it’s hot outside – the cool water for swimming, relaxing summer entertainment such as boating, fishing or swimming. Some of the lakes in San Angelo have beaches that are ideal for working on your tan. So what are you waiting for? Pack up your vehicle with your beach goodies and a cooler then set out your next day off and discover your own number one location on a lake!
Nearby Lakes for San Angelo
Help Us Out!:
Other Lakes in the Area:
Things to Do at the Lake
When you visit a lake near San Angelo you’ll find all kinds of things to do for families, couples, or with a group of friends. You could go for an exciting day trip or take a longer vacation to a hotel or AirBnB to enjoy yourself more fully.
Every getaway on or in the water offers you all the options from partying to restful bliss.
Canoeing, kayaking, or paddle boarding. If you like to paddle around, pack up your board of choice and find yourself a lake near San Angelo that has a boat launch and start paddling around to enjoy nature’s beauty on the waterfront.
Partake in some water sports. Should you be able to get access to a ski boat, why not spend the day kicking up a wake showing off your water sports skills? Take the family out for some wakeboarding, skiing, or tubing as the lakes near San Angelo give you all kinds of options.
Get in the water. The swimming lakes near San Angelo offer all kinds of fun for the kids, or all the physical activity that an exercise junky could want in between working on their tan. If you want to spend time swimming and on the beach you’ll want to be sure your lake has a nice swimming area and a sandy beach to spread out on prior to packing the car and the family! Admit it, even the nicest swimming pool doesn’t offer as much to do as a magnificent public beach!
Preparing for a Day on the Lake
Everyone’s beach getaway will be unique based on which lake you go to, what time of year it is, what your goals are for the getaway. However, we put together a list for some ideas for your next summer trip so everything goes smoothly!
Common lake items
When you’re out on a lake near San Angelo you will likely need to bring several of the items below so that you’ll be feeling good, healthy, and having fun.
- A blanket or sheet
- Tennis shoes
- Plates, bowls, utensils, cups
- A fully stocked cooler
- A picnic basket
- Sweatshirt and sweatpants
- Garbage bags
- A sunhat or glasses
Additional lake items
The following items could be helpful for excursions to the lake considering your itinerary. You may want to double check for some of these so you’re not missing something critical.
- Fishing and boating licenses
- Your tackle box
- Legal flotation devices
- Diapers (if a baby’s on board)
- Something to read
- Fishing poles
- Goggles or masks
- Paper towels and sanitizer
- Rafts for the kids
Lake Safety Checklist
While the water can provide fun during a day on the lake, failing to follow some simple safety rules can make things turn tragic in a hurry. Following a few standard safety tips that will ensure that everyone are always safe on the water.
- Don’t mix alcohol with swimming
- Stay close to shore and avoid areas with shallow water or where the current is strong
- Make sure no one swims alone
- Be aware of your surroundings and know where you are in relation to land
- Use sunscreen, even if it’s cloudy outside
- Always wear a life jacket when boating, kayaking or paddle boarding
- Make sure children have swimmies or other approved flotation devices
Some More Tips
If you’re going to visit the fabulous lakes near San Angelo, you’ll want to remember a couple critical items that can make your trip plan substantially more rewarding. Case in point, every individual lake near San Angelo is going to have their own features which makes it important to consider what you need to make an unforgettable trip as you plan yours.
- No boat, no problem. It’s common that lakes will have local marinas where you can rent a boat. You don’t need to own a boat to enjoy fishing with family and friends or taking the kids out for some wakeboarding or tubing. Using a search engine can usually help you locate a marina that has what you need.
- Make the most of unique local resources. If you have time for a longer stay, find local recreational areas, state parks, and campgrounds that offer the option to stay right on the water for a reasonable price.
- Pay attention to the beaches. Depending on the time of year, sometimes the beaches near San Angelo could be very busy. To find some space to yourself, do some digging on a variety of nearby beaches and lakes to learn about how busy they are to find one with a slower pace. To get in on the party, search out the biggest, most popular beach!