Lakes Around Odessa
It’s summertime and that means it’s time to start planning your upcoming grand getaway. If you’re looking for a fun destination, consider visiting a lake near Odessa. As it turns out, when you make a trip to Odessa there are some great spots when it comes to getting on, or in the water.
There are numerous great arguments to visit a lake in Odessa this summer – the water is refreshing on hot days, relaxing summer activities like wakeboarding, fishing, or just relaxing on a raft. Some of the lakes in Odessa have beaches that are ideal for working on your tan. Browse through the data below to have a look your options from small lakes with beaches to all sports lakes for you to enjoy.
Lakes Near Odessa
Help Us Out!:
Other Lakes in the Area:
Things to Do at the Lake
A quick excursion to a lake, or a more lengthy trip provides a nearly endless list of activities for families or couples.
Here are some of our top picks for activities when you arrive at a Odessa lake:
Get in the water. The swimming lakes near Odessa provide tons of fun for the kids, or all the physical activity that an exercise junky could want in between getting that perfect golden tan. Make sure to do your research and verify that your lake has a sandy beach and a designated swimming area prior to packing the car and the family! Admit it, even the nicest swimming pool doesn’t offer as much to do as a beautiful public beach!
Partake in some water sports. Should you be able to get access to a ski boat, you might want to have some fun and make a day of kicking up a wake demonstrating your athleticism and water sports skills? Hit the water and go wakeboarding or knee boarding as the lakes near Odessa offer you a number of options.
Picnic time. The lakes near Odessa gives you the chance to visit a wealth of excellent picnic areas where you can enjoy tasty treats, or just a couple of sandwiches to enjoy by the water. If you’re with that special someone, a picnic on the beach should put a smile on their face.
How to Prepare for a Day at the Lake
Every day at the lake will have its own requirements based on which lake you go to, what the weather is going to be, and what you want to do for entertainment. However, we’ve created a list with some of our favorite ideas for your watery excursion so there’s nothing to stress over!
Common lake items
When you’re out on a lake near Odessa it makes a lot of sense to take along some of these items so that you’ll be feeling good, healthy, and having fun.
- Plastic grocery bags (for trash and/or wet clothes)
- A fully stocked cooler
- Portable stereo
- Something to dry off with
- A sunhat or glasses
- Sweatshirt and sweatpants
- Food and snacks
- Insect repellant
Additional lake items
Depending on what you’ll be doing at the lake and who will be joining you, the list of gear will likely be helpful and worth packing prior to departure.
- Fishing gear
- Life jackets
- Wine key
- Pool noodles, rafts, floats
- Goggles or masks
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
- Something to clean up with like sanitizers or wet wipes
- Beach toys (buckets, shovels, football, frisbee, etc.)
Staying Safe on a Lake
Yes, being on the water can make for a memorable day, everyone’s safety is the most important part of your getaway. These safety tips will make sure that everyone are always safe on the water.
- Always wear a life jacket when boating, kayaking or paddle boarding
- Have an escape plan for what to do if you get stuck on a boat that capsizes or tips over
- Always swim with a buddy
- Avoid alcohol consumption before swimming, as it can impair judgment and result in drowning
- Use sunscreen, even if it’s cloudy outside
- Stay close to shore and avoid areas with shallow water or where the current is strong
- Make sure children have swimmies or other approved flotation devices
More Tips for a Lake Getaway in Odessa
Some people may not get the opportunity to visit the amazing lakes around Odessa and might have a lot of questions regarding planning. Obviously, no matter where you go each lake is going to possess unique qualities and trappings, but here are a handful of items to look into when making plans that might help you end up with a winning itinerary.
- Maximize the best assets in the area. If there’s time for a lengthier trip, look for local recreational areas, state parks, and campgrounds that offer the option to camp right on the water for a reasonable price.
- Do homework on the beaches. Early, mid, or late season, sometimes beaches may be very busy. If you want some more peace and quiet, research a variety of nearby beaches and lakes to learn about how busy they are to find one with a slower pace. If you want to be where the party’s at, then look for the busiest, most popular sandy party scene!
- Find a marina. Many lakes have local marinas that offer boat rentals. Boats are expensive to own, but a rental will still allow you to enjoy a relaxing day of fishing or a day of watersports. Doing a quick Google search can usually help you locate options for renting the perfect boat.