Lakes Close to Amarillo
When the weather is right you should spend some time near the water. A lake vacation is wonderful for people who love getting outside too, because they offer opportunities to see birds, fish, turtles and other animals in their natural habitat.
There are countless great arguments for making a trip to a lake in Amarillo this summer – the cool water for swimming, enjoyable summer entertainment such as wakeboarding, fishing, or just relaxing on a raft. Some of the lakes in Amarillo have beaches that are perfect for a relaxing day. Don’t you deserve an enjoyable getaway? Pack up your vehicle with sunscreen and a cooler then set out your next day off to find your own number one location on a lake!
Lakes Close to Amarillo
|id||Help Us Out!||Mash the Button||Image||Category||Lake Name||User Summary||City||State||Zip Code||Plus Code||Website||Phone Number||latitude||longitude||latlong||exclude||Google Map Link||Other Lakes in the Area||street_address||Rating||Reviews||Monday Hours||Tuesday Hours||Wednesday Hours||Thursday Hours||Friday Hours||Saturday Hours||Sunday Hours||external_url||Details|
|16,313||We really try to make sure our data is 100% complete but sometimes we need help. If you can help us update any of the info on this page please get in touch via this button below!||Lake||Lake Tanglewood||Amarillo||TX||79118||35.05||-101.78||35.050236-101.775883||4.70||16 reviews|
|15,852||We really try to make sure our data is 100% complete but sometimes we need help. If you can help us update any of the info on this page please get in touch via this button below!||Lake||McSpadden Lake||TX||79015||34.97||-101.90||34.969504-101.901114|
|15,860||We really try to make sure our data is 100% complete but sometimes we need help. If you can help us update any of the info on this page please get in touch via this button below!||Lake||Pantex Lake||TX||79068||35.38||-101.50||35.376159-101.499061|
|15,851||Lake||Palo Duro Club Lake||TX||79015||35.02||-101.88||35.021416-101.875628||5.00||1 review|
|15,871||Lake||McGee Lake||TX||79108||35.28||-101.66||35.281440-101.664139||3.00||7 reviews|
|15,853||Lake||Buffalo Lake||TX||79015||34.92||-102.10||34.923114-102.099918||3.30||3 reviews|
|15,869||Lake||Southwestern Public Service Lake||TX||79108||35.29||-101.76||35.286718-101.762127||3.00||1 review|
|16,312||Seasonal lake||Amarillo Lake||Amarillo||TX||79107||https://tshaonline.org||35.22||-101.85||35.218172-101.853534||3.70||9 reviews|
|16,311||Lake||Ross Rogers Golf Course Lake||Amarillo||TX||79107||35.25||-101.84||35.247996-101.836075||4.30||15 reviews|
|15,868||Lake||6 Section Lake||TX||79108||35.36||-101.80||35.356717-101.802127|
|16,035||Lake||Lake Meredith||Lake on a high plain, popular for swims, boating & fishing, with hiking trails & free beach camping.||TX||79058||35.66||-101.64||35.658922-101.644223||4.50||205 reviews|
|Lake Name||City||Zip Code|
Help Us Out!:
Other Lakes in the Area:
A Day at the Lake: An Itinerary
A day trip to the lake, or a longer trip offers a nearly limitless list of activities for people of all stripes.
A day, weekend, or a week on or in the water offers you a full range of activities from thrilling to chilling.
Get a little crazy with the water sports. If you’re able to get access to a speed boat, you might want to have some fun and make a day of kicking up a wake showing off your water sports expertise? Take the family out for some wakeboarding, skiing, or tubing as the lakes near Amarillo provide you with several options.
Swimming. The swimming lakes near Amarillo offer tons of fun for the big kids and little ones, or all the physical activity that an exercise junky could want in between getting that perfect golden tan. Make sure to do your research and verify that your lake has a sandy beach and a designated swimming area before you make the trip! Admit it, even the nicest swimming pool doesn’t offer as much to do as a beautiful public beach!
Catch some fish. For those that love to fish, finding a good fishing hole shouldn’t be too hard to help you have a relaxing day with a line in the water whether you’re out on a boat or standing on a dock with a beer in one hand and a rod in the other.
How to Prepare for a Day at the Lake
A lake day itinerary can vary quite a bit when you take into consideration the specific lake you’ll be visiting, the season, and what you want to do while you’re there. However, we’ve built out a short list of popular go-to necessities that you can use as a checklist to make sure you cover your bases.
If the plan is to be in the sun for most of the weekend, the list below is a good place to start when it comes to the necessities to have on hand.
- A cooler with water
- Flip flops or water shoes
- Travel dinnerware and cups
- Towels and dry clothes
- Bathing suits
- Eye protection, a hat, or both
- Insect repellant
- Something to eat
- Beach blanket
Additional lake items
Take into consideration what you’ll be doing at the lake and who will be in your entourage, the following items could make your day more enjoyable and worth packing prior to leaving.
- Fishing poles
- Paper towels and sanitizer
- Worms or other bait
- Games for the beach
- Rafts for the kids
- Tackle box and lures
- Life jackets
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
Lake Safety Checklist
Of course your getaway on a lake in Amarillo should be ample amounts of fun, you always have to keep safety in mind. A day on the lake means safety first so here are some general safety tips to keep in mind.
- Don’t swim alone
- Have an emergency plan if you run into trouble on your watercraft
- Stay close to shore and avoid areas with shallow water or where the current is strong
- Regularly apply sunblock throughout the day – following the product’s instructions
- Make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat
- Don’t mix alcohol with swimming
- Keep children within arm’s reach at all times while swimming in deep water
More Tips for a Lake Getaway in Amarillo
Not everyone has had a chance to visit the lakes near Amarillo and might have some questions regarding planning. Of course, no matter where you go each lake will have their own character and trappings, but here are a few things to review while assembling your itinerary that might help you end up with a winning itinerary.
- Make the most of unique assets in the area. If there’s time for a lengthier stay, find local state campgrounds and parks that offer the option to camp in a spot that is right on top of the water at an affordable price.
- Pay attention to the beaches. Early, mid, or late season, occasionally the beaches near Amarillo may be packed with beachgoers. If you want some more peace and quiet, research a variety of nearby beaches and lakes to learn about how busy they are if you want a more relaxing vibe. If you want to be where the party’s at, search out the busiest, most happening sandy party scene!
- Rent a boat. If you’re near the water you’ll often find local marinas where you can rent a boat. Boats are expensive to own, but a rental will still allow you to enjoy fishing with family and friends or tubing with the kids. Using a search engine will usually allow you to find several places that can hook you up with the right vessel.