Lakes Near Cleveland
It’s summertime and that means it’s time to pack up and head out for your upcoming summer adventure. There aren’t many better options than a lake near Cleveland. As it turns out, when you visit Cleveland there are some great spots for getting on, or in the water.
There are many great motivations to visit a lake in Cleveland this summer – the cool water for swimming, enjoyable summer entertainment such as boating, fishing or swimming. Some of the lakes in Cleveland have beaches you can enjoy while building sandcastles with the family. Scan the table below to have a look your nearby locations from small lakes with beaches to all sports lakes for you to visit.
Lakes Close to Cleveland
Help Us Out!:
Google Map Link:
Other Lakes in the Area:
A Day at the Lake: An Itinerary
On a day trip to a lake near Cleveland you’ll find all kinds of activities that can be enjoyed by groups of all types. You could go for an exciting day trip or take a longer vacation to a hotel or AirBnB to make the most of your time unwinding.
Let’s look at some of the options available to you when you make your way to a lake near Cleveland:
Go fishing. For those that love to fish, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding a good fishing spot to help you have a relaxing day with a line in the water whether you’re roaming the lake in a killer fishing boat or standing on a dock with a beer in one hand and a rod in the other.
Partake in some delicious delights outside. The lakes near Cleveland gives you the chance to visit a wealth of excellent picnic areas partake in the enjoyment of your favorite portable delicacies, or something as simple as crackers and cheese and a cold beverage while enjoying the scenery. If you’re with that special someone, a picnic on the beach should be suitably romantic.
Get a little crazy with the water sports. If you’ve got access to a fast boat, why not get out on the water and start kicking up a wake showing off your water sports skills? Take the family out for some wakeboarding, skiing, or tubing as the local lakes offer you all kinds of choices.
Checklist for a Day at the Lake
A day at the lake can be very different depending on the lake you’re heading to, what time of year it is, and what your perfect itinerary looks like. For your benefit, we’ve created a list with some of our favorite ideas for your next summer trip so everything goes smoothly!
Common lake items
For a day spent on the water you will likely need to take along many of these things so that you’ll be safe, healthy, and relaxed.
- Reserve clothing
- Something to eat
- USB charger
- A blanket or sheet
- A cooler with water
- Garbage bags
- Plates, cups and utensils
- Insect repellant
- Radio or speaker
Additional lake gear
The list of items below can make your life easier for trips to the lake depending on what you’ll be doing. It’s also worth checking before heading out.
- Life jackets
- Diapers and baby gear
- Something to clean up with like sanitizers or wet wipes
- Goggles or masks
- Worms or other bait
- Rafts and floaties
- Fishing poles, nets, etc.
- Tackle box and lures
Staying Safe on a Lake
While it’s easy to get lost in a fun day at a lake near Cleveland, failing to follow some simple safety rules can make things turn tragic in a hurry. These safety tips should ensure that you and your family remains safe at your favorite Cleveland lake.
- Stay close to shore and avoid areas with shallow water or where the current is strong
- Don’t swim alone
- Don’t mix alcohol with swimming
- Make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat
- Be aware of your surroundings and know where you are in relation to land
- Regularly apply sunblock throughout the day – following the product’s instructions
- Make sure children have swimmies or other approved flotation devices
More Tips for a Lake Getaway in Cleveland
Not everyone has had a chance to visit the amazing lakes around Cleveland and might have some questions regarding planning. Certainly, any body of water will possess unique qualities and trappings, but you should keep in mind a handful of items to look into while planning that might help start your trip on the right foot.
- Do homework on the beaches. Depending on the time of year, sometimes the beaches near Cleveland can get very crowded. If you want a little more privacy, research multiple lakes and beaches to see if you can find one that’s less crowded if you want a more relaxing vibe. To get in on the party, then look for the biggest, most popular beach!
- Maximize unique local resources. When there’s time for a longer stay, look for local recreational areas, state parks, and campgrounds that offer the option to camp directly on the water without breaking the bank.
- Rent a boat. Many lakes have nearby marinas that offer boat rentals. Just because you don’t own a boat to enjoy a relaxing day of fishing or a day of watersports. Asking a local can typically help you locate several places that can hook you up with the right vessel.