Lakes Close to Hilton Head Island
The weather is warm so it’s time to plan your next family vacation. If you’re looking for a fun destination, consider visiting a lake near Hilton Head Island. Lucky for you, when you come to Hilton Head Island you have quite a few options for spending time on the lake.
There are countless great reasons for making a trip to a lake in Hilton Head Island this summer – the cool water for swimming, fun summer entertainment such as boating, fishing or swimming. Some of the lakes in Hilton Head Island have beaches that are perfect for a relaxing day. Browse through the local listings directly beneath this paragraph to see the nearby locations including swimming lakes to larger lakes for you to enjoy.
Nearby Lakes for Hilton Head Island
Help Us Out!:
Google Map Link:
Other Lakes in the Area:
A Day at the Lake: An Itinerary
On a day trip to a lake near Hilton Head Island you’ll find all kinds of things to do for people of all persuasions. Whether you’re just looking for a day trip or decide to stay overnight at a hotel or a bed and breakfast on the water to make for a bigger, better getaway.
A day, weekend, or a week at the lake offers you all the options from partying to restful bliss.
Go for a swim. Finding a swimming lake near Hilton Head Island will provide tons of fun and excitement for the big kids and little ones, or all the physical activity that an exercise junky could want in between working on their tan. Make sure to do your research and verify that your lake has a sandy beach and a designated swimming area before you make the trip! You know as well as we do that a swimming pool just isn’t as much fun as a magnificent public beach!
Go fishing. For those that love to fish, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding a good fishing spot to help you have a relaxing day with a line in the water whether you’re roaming the lake in a killer fishing boat or tossing a line in from the dock.
Water sports. Should you be able to get access to a fast boat, why not get out on the water and start flying around the water demonstrating your athleticism and water sports expertise? Take the family out for some tubing or skiing as the local lakes provide you with a number of choices.
Preparing for a Day on the Lake
Your plan for a lake getaway can vary quite a bit depending on which lake you choose, when you decide to go, and the activities on your to-do list. However, we’ve put together a list of popular lake and beach-related items that you can use as a checklist for your getaway.
Common lake items
For a day spent on the water it makes a lot of sense to take many of the things in our list below so that you’ll be safe, healthy, and getting the most out of your getaway.
- Bathing suits
- Eye protection, a hat, or both
- Dry shirt
- Garbage bags
- Something to dry off with
- Bluetooth speaker
- Cords and a charger for portable devices
- Travel dinnerware and cups
Specialty lake stuff
The list of items below might prove useful for trips to the lake considering your itinerary. It’s also worth checking prior to hitting the road.
- Worms or other bait
- Diapers (if a baby’s on board)
- Rafts and floaties
- Something to read
- Tackle box and lures
- Hand sanitizers or moist towelettes
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
- Toys for the beach
- Swimming goggles
Of course your getaway to your favorite body of water should be ample amounts of fun, safety should remain top of mind at all times. When you decide to spend a day at the lake here are some important safety tips.
- Be aware of your surroundings and know where you are in relation to land
- Avoid plants that can sting or cause allergic reactions
- Avoid swimming near rocks or shallow water areas that may not be deep enough to dive underneath and escape from waves
- Regularly apply sunblock throughout the day – following the product’s instructions
- Make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat
- Don’t swim alone
- Avoid drinking alcohol while boating
More Hilton Head Island Lake Tips
If you’re going to visit the fabulous lakes near Hilton Head Island, you’ll want to remember a couple critical items that will make your itinerary far more rewarding. Case in point, every individual lake is going to have their own features so it is important to consider what you need to make an unforgettable getaway as you plan yours.
- Research your beaches. If you pick the wrong time of year, occasionally the beaches near Hilton Head Island could be really busy. To find a little more privacy, do some digging on a variety of lakes and beaches to see if you can find one that’s less crowded if you want a more relaxing vibe. To get in on the party, search out the biggest, most popular beach!
- No boat, no problem. Many lakes have nearby marinas that offer boat rentals. You don’t need to own a boat to enjoy a relaxing day of fishing or a wild day of wakeboarding. Doing a quick Google search will usually allow you to find options for renting the perfect boat.
- Make the most of the best local resources. If you have time for a lengthier trip, look for local state campgrounds and parks that offer the option to stay in a spot that is right on top of the water for a reasonable price.