Lakes Close to Lawton
Every once in a while you should spend some time on the water. A stay at a lake can be wonderful for people who love wildlife too, because they offer opportunities to see birds, fish, turtles and other animals in their natural habitat.
Whether you’re looking to go kayaking, buzz around doing wakeboarding, go for a swim, or just lounge at the beach, the lakes near Lawton offer you lots of opportunities for outdoor fun. Scan the data below and have a look your options from swimming lakes with beaches to larger lakes for you to visit.
Lakes Close to Lawton
Help Us Out!:
Other Lakes in the Area:
Things to Do at the Lake
A quick excursion to a lake, or a more lengthy trip gives you an almost boundless list of things to do for families, couples, or even those seeking some quality alone time.
Let’s look at some of the options available to you when you make your way to a Lawton lake:
Have a picnic. Lawton’s lakes provide many excellent picnic areas partake in the enjoyment of your favorite foods, or you could just do some cheese and crackers as you enjoy the view. If you’re with that special someone, a picnic on the beach is hard to beat.
Water sports. If you’re able to get access to a ski boat, why not spend the day kicking up a wake showing off your water sports talents? Hit the water and go wakeboarding, skiing, or tubing as the all sports lakes provide you with several choices.
Start paddling. For those in search of some exercise, pack up your board of choice and chart your course to a lake near Lawton with a public launch and start paddling around to soak up the scenery on the waterfront.
Lake Getaway Prep
A day at the lake can vary quite a bit when you take into consideration which lake you choose, the season, and the activities on your to-do list. To make things easier we’ve built out a short list of some of the most common lake items for you to use as a checklist prior to locking up the house and heading out.
For a day spent on the water it makes a lot of sense to take several of these items to make sure you’re feeling good, healthy, and getting the most out of your getaway.
- Cooler, ice, beverages (always remember water!)
- Trash bags (one for trash, one for wet items)
- Eye protection, a hat, or both
- UV protection
- Travel dinnerware and cups
- Beach blanket
- Backup clothes
Additional lake stuff
Take into consideration the itinerary when at the water and who will be in your entourage, the items below will likely be helpful and adding to your checklist before hitting the road.
- Your favorite magazine or book
- Masks and snorkels
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
- Hand sanitizers or moist towelettes
- Baby gear (if necessary)
- Legal flotation devices
- Fishing gear
- Tackle box and lures
- Worms or other bait
Lake Safety Checklist
While spending a weekend at a lake in Lawton can provide lots of fun, you always have to keep safety in mind. If you’re going to be out on the water here are some general safety tips to keep in mind.
- Don’t mix alcohol with swimming
- Avoid swimming near rocks or shallow water areas that may not be deep enough to dive underneath and escape from waves
- Make sure no one swims alone
- Have an escape plan for what to do if you get stuck on a boat that capsizes or tips over
- Always wear a life jacket when boating, kayaking or paddle boarding
- Use sunscreen, even if it’s cloudy outside
- Avoid plants that can sting or cause allergic reactions
Some More Tips
Not everyone has had a chance to make their way to the lakes near Lawton and might have some questions regarding planning. Clearly, no matter where you go each lake is going to possess unique qualities and surroundings, but here are a few things to look into while making plans which could help start your trip on the right foot.
- No boat, no problem. If you’re near the water you’ll often find nearby marinas that offer boat rentals. Just because you don’t own a boat to enjoy fishing with family and friends or a wild day of wakeboarding. Asking a local can usually allow you to find several places that can hook you up with the right vessel.
- Make the most of the best assets in the area. When there’s time for a lengthier getaway, look for local state campgrounds and parks that offer the option to stay directly on the water without breaking the bank.
- Pay attention to the beaches. Depending on the time of year, sometimes the beaches near Lawton may be packed with tourists. To find a little more privacy, research multiple nearby beaches and lakes to learn about how busy they are to find one with a slower pace. If you want to be where the party’s at, search out the biggest, most happening sandy party scene!