Lakes Around Jefferson City
It’s summertime and that means it’s time to pack up and head out for your upcoming grand getaway. There aren’t many better options than a lake near Jefferson City. A lake vacation is perfect for those who love getting outside too, because they offer opportunities to see birds, fish, turtles and other animals in their natural habitat.
It doesn’t matter if you’re looking to paddleboard, get active with water skiing, go swimming, or just lounge at the beach, the lakes near Jefferson City provide you with plentiful opportunities for outdoor fun. Take a look at the table directly beneath this paragraph to have a look your options from swimming lakes to larger lakes for you to visit.
Lakes Close to Jefferson City
Help Us Out!:
Google Map Link:
Other Lakes in the Area:
A day trip, or a more lengthy trip provides an almost boundless list of things to do for people of all stripes.
Now we’ll run down a list of some of the best things to do when you arrive at a Jefferson City lake:
Swimming. The swimming lakes near Jefferson City offer all kinds of laughs and games for the big kids and little ones, or plenty of exercise for those looking to be active in between working on their tan. Make sure to do your research and verify that your lake has a sandy beach and a designated swimming area before you make the trip! Admit it, even the nicest swimming pool just isn’t as much fun as a magnificent public beach on a lake near Jefferson City!
Have a picnic. The lakes near Jefferson City provide a wealth of great picnic areas where you can enjoy culinary delights, or a quick snack as you enjoy the view. Should you be with someone you want to impress, good food and a view should put a smile on their face.
Grab a board. If you like to paddle around, strap your favorite kayak or paddleboard to the top of your vehicle and chart your course to a lake that has a public launch and start paddling around to enjoy nature’s beauty in all it’s glory.
A day at the lake can be drastically different when you take into consideration the specific lake you’ll be visiting, the time of year, the weather, and what you want to do while you’re there. To make things easier we’ve built out a short list of popular lake and beach-related items for you to use as a checklist to make sure you cover your bases.
When the plan is to be outdoors for the vast majority of the vacation, our list of provisions below is a good place to start when it comes to the necessities that you’ll be happy to have on hand.
- Sweatpants and sweatshirt
- USB charger
- Towels and dry clothes
- A fully stocked cooler
- Plastic grocery bags (for trash and/or wet clothes)
- A beach blanket and umbrella
- Insect repellant
- Plates, cups and utensils
Additional lake stuff
The following items might prove useful for getaways to the lake considering your itinerary. You may want to double check some of these so you’re not missing something critical.
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
- Baby gear (if necessary)
- Your favorite magazine or book
- Masks and snorkels
- Fishing poles, nets, etc.
- Rafts and floaties
- Tackle box and lures
- Worms or other bait
- Beach toys (buckets, shovels, football, frisbee, etc.)
- Legal flotation devices
Lake Safety Checklist
While it’s easy to get lost in a fun day at a lake near Jefferson City, safety should be top of mind. Here are some general tips that should ensure that you and your family are always safe on the water.
- Have an escape plan for what to do if you get stuck on a boat that capsizes or tips over
- Avoid alcohol consumption before swimming, as it can impair judgment and result in drowning
- Always wear sunblock
- Make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat
- Avoid plants that can sting or cause allergic reactions
- Make sure no one swims alone
- Stay close to shore and avoid areas with shallow water or where the current is strong
More Ideas for Lake Fun
If you’re going to visit the one of a kind lakes near Jefferson City, you’ll want to remember a couple critical items that can make your weekend gameplan much more rewarding. For example, each lake has unique qualities and surroundings which makes it important to think about what will make for an unforgettable getaway as you plan yours.
- Find a marina. It’s common that lakes will have nearby marinas that offer boat rentals. You don’t need to own a boat to enjoy a day fishing on the lake or a wild day of wakeboarding. Using a search engine will typically allow you to locate several places that can hook you up with the right vessel.
- Make the most of the best assets in the area. When there’s time for a longer getaway, find local recreational areas, state parks, and campgrounds that offer the ability to camp directly on the water at an affordable price.
- Do homework on the beaches. Early, mid, or late season, occasionally the beaches near Jefferson City can get exceptionally crowded. To find some more space to spread out, research a variety of lakes and beaches to see if you can find one that’s less crowded if you want a more relaxing vibe. If you want to be where the party’s at, then look for the busiest, most popular sandy party scene!