Lakes Around Hagerstown
It’s summertime so it’s time to plan your next big getaway. There aren’t many better options than a lake near Hagerstown. A lake vacation is perfect for those that enjoy getting outside too, because they offer opportunities to see birds, fish, turtles and other animals in their natural habitat.
There are many brilliant reasons for a getaway to a lake in Hagerstown this summer – the cool water for swimming, fun summer activities such as paddle boarding, kayaking, or swimming. You’ll find that some lakes have beaches you can enjoy while building sandcastles with the family. Take a look at the data directly beneath this paragraph to see the nearby locations including swimming lakes with beaches to all sports lakes for you to enjoy.
Lakes Near Hagerstown
Help Us Out!:
Google Map Link:
Other Lakes in the Area:
A quick excursion to a lake, or a longer getaway provides a nearly boundless list of things to do for people of all stripes.
Every getaway at the lake gives you all the options from partying to restful bliss.
Go fishing. For anglers, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding a good fishing spot to help you have a relaxing day with a line in the water whether you’re out on a boat or standing on a dock with a beer in one hand and a rod in the other.
Get a little crazy with the water sports. Should you be able to get access to a speed boat, why not spend the day kicking up a wake demonstrating your athleticism and water sports skills? Enjoy a day of wakeboarding, skiing, or tubing as the lakes near Hagerstown give you several options.
Grab a board. If paddling is your thing, pack up your board of choice and chart your course to a lake that has a public launch and get out and soak up nature’s beauty in all it’s glory.
Preparing for a Day on the Lake
A lake day itinerary can be drastically different depending on which lake you’re going to, the weather forecast, and the activities on your to-do list. To make things easier we’ve assembled a rundown of some of the most common lake and beach-related items that you can use as a checklist for your getaway.
When you’re out on a lake near Hagerstown you’ll probably want to bring along many of the items below to make sure you’re safe, healthy, and enjoying your time.
- Towels and dry clothes
- Dry shirt
- Portable phone charger
- Plates, cups and utensils
- Bottle opener
- Trash bags (one for trash, one for wet items)
- UV protection
- Bluetooth speaker
Specialty lake items
The gear in the list below could be helpful for getaways to the lake considering your itinerary. It’s also worth checking before heading out.
- Tackle box and lures
- Beach toys (buckets, shovels, football, frisbee, etc.)
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
- Fishing poles, nets, etc.
- Masks and snorkels
- Rafts and floaties
- Hand sanitizers or moist towelettes
Staying Safe on a Lake
While the water can provide fun during a day on the lake, failing to follow some simple safety rules can make things turn tragic in a hurry. Here are some general tips that should make sure that your whole group are always safe at your favorite Hagerstown lake.
- Keep your distance from wildlife
- Don’t swim alone
- Have an escape plan for what to do if you get stuck on a boat that capsizes or tips over
- Make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat
- Don’t mix alcohol with swimming
- Avoid swimming near rocks or shallow water areas that may not be deep enough to dive underneath and escape from waves
- Regularly apply sunblock throughout the day – following the product’s instructions
More Ideas for Lake Fun
When you make a trip to the beautiful lakes around Hagerstown, there are a few things that will make your itinerary much more successful. For example, every individual lake has unique qualities and surroundings so it is important to think about what will make for a memorable trip as you plan yours.
- Make the most of unique local resources. When you have time for a lengthier stay, look for local state campgrounds and parks which give you the ability to camp near or even on the water for a reasonable price.
- Find a marina. It’s common that lakes will have nearby marinas that offer boat rentals. You don’t need to own a boat to enjoy a day fishing on the lake or taking the kids out for some wakeboarding or tubing. Doing a quick Google search can typically allow you to locate options for renting the perfect boat.
- Pay attention to the beaches. Early, mid, or late season, sometimes beaches can get extremely crowded. To find a little more privacy, research a variety of nearby beaches and lakes to learn about how busy they are if you want a more relaxing vibe. If you want to be where the party’s at, then look for the biggest, most happening sandy party scene!