Lakes Around Sioux City
The weather is warm so it’s time to start planning your upcoming big getaway. There aren’t many better options than a lake near Sioux City. A lake vacation can be amazing for people that enjoy getting outside too, as they are a great way to see birds, fish, turtles and other animals in their natural habitat.
There are many great arguments for a getaway to a lake in Sioux City during the warmer months – the cool water for swimming, fun summer activities like boating, fishing or swimming. Some of the lakes in Sioux City have beaches that are ideal for working on your tan. So what are you waiting for? Load up the car with your beach goodies and a picnic basket then make the trip on your next vacation and discover a brand new number one location on the water!
Lakes Close to Sioux City
Help Us Out!:
Google Map Link:
Other Lakes in the Area:
Things to Do at the Lake
A day trip, or a more lengthy getaway provides an almost boundless amount of stuff for people of all stripes.
Let’s look at some of the options available to you when you visit a Sioux City lake:
Get a little crazy with the water sports. If you’ve got access to a fast boat, you might want to have some fun and make a day of flying around the water showing off your water sports expertise? Take the family out for some wakeboarding or knee boarding as the all sports lakes give you a number of choices.
Go for a swim. Finding a swimming lake near Sioux City will provide all kinds of fun for the kids, or plenty of exercise for those looking to be active in between working on their tan. If you want to spend time swimming and on the beach you’ll want to be sure your lake has a sandy beach and a designated swimming area prior to packing the car and the family! You know as well as we do that a swimming pool doesn’t hold a candle to a glorious public beach on a lake near Sioux City!
Picnic time. The lakes near Sioux City gives you the chance to visit all sorts of excellent picnic areas for you to pack up some tasty treats, or you could just do some cheese and crackers while enjoying the scenery. For a romantic evening, a picnic on the beach is hard to beat.
Everyone’s beach getaway will be unique based on which lake you go to, when you go, what your goals are for the getaway. However, we’ve created a list that will give some ideas for your lake getaway to ensure nothing gets forgotten!
Common lake items
If you’re going to be on, in, or near the water for most of the weekend, the list below is a good place to start when it comes to the necessities you are likely to need.
- Bathing suits
- A fully stocked cooler
- Flip flops or water shoes
- Backup clothes
- Beach blanket
- Portable stereo
- Towels and dry clothes
- Plastic grocery bags (for trash and/or wet clothes)
- UV protection
More lake stuff
Consider the itinerary when at the water and what your party looks like, the following items could make your day more enjoyable and worth packing prior to leaving.
- Wine key
- Paper towels and sanitizer
- Toys for the beach
- Life jackets
- Fishing poles
- Rafts and floaties
- Baby gear (if necessary)
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
- Tackle box
Lake Safety Checklist
While it’s easy to get lost in a fun day at a lake near Sioux City, everyone’s safety is the most important part of your getaway. Here are some general tips that should ensure that your whole group stays safe on the water.
- Don’t swim alone
- Make sure children have swimmies or other approved flotation devices
- Avoid swimming near rocks or shallow water areas that may not be deep enough to dive underneath and escape from waves
- Have an escape plan for what to do if you get stuck on a boat that capsizes or tips over
- Regularly apply sunblock throughout the day – following the product’s instructions
- Don’t mix alcohol with swimming
- Always wear a life jacket when boating, kayaking or paddle boarding
More Sioux City Lake Tips
When you make a trip to the one of a kind lakes around Sioux City, you’ll want to remember a couple critical items that can make your trip plan substantially more successful. As an example, each individual lake has unique environment which makes it important to think about what you need to make an unforgettable getaway when planning yours.
- Find a marina. Many lakes have local marinas where you can rent a boat. Just because you don’t own a boat to enjoy a day fishing on the lake or tubing with the kids. Doing a quick Google search will typically help you locate options for renting the perfect boat.
- Maximize the best assets in the area. If you have time for a lengthier stay, find local recreational areas, state parks, and campgrounds which give you the option to stay right on the water without breaking the bank.
- Pay attention to the beaches. Depending on the time of year, sometimes beaches can get very crowded. To find more space to spread out, research a variety of lakes in the area to learn about how busy they are to find one with a slower pace. If you want to be where the party’s at, then look for the busiest, most happening sandy party scene!