Lakes Near Brookhaven
When the weather is right you should pack up and find a spot by the water. Lucky for you, when you visit Brookhaven there are some great spots when it comes to getting on, or in the water.
Whether you’re looking to paddleboard, partake in some watersports, go swimming, or just lounge at the beach, the lakes near Brookhaven offer you plentiful options for aquatic fun. Scan the data below and see the nearby locations from small lakes to larger lakes for you to visit.
Lakes Near Brookhaven
Help Us Out!:
Google Map Link:
Other Lakes in the Area:
Things to Do at the Lake
On a day trip to a lake near Brookhaven there are many activities that can be enjoyed by groups of all types. Whether you’re just looking for a day trip or decide to stay overnight at a hotel or AirBnB to make the most of your time unwinding.
Every getaway at the lake offers you all the options from partying to restful bliss.
Go for a swim. The swimming lakes near Brookhaven provide tons of fun for the big kids and little ones, or plenty of exercise for those looking to be active in between getting that perfect golden tan. If you want to spend time swimming and on the beach you’ll want to be sure your lake has a sandy beach and a designated swimming area before you make the trip! You know as well as we do that a swimming pool doesn’t offer as much to do as a beautiful public beach on a lake near Brookhaven!
Get a little crazy with the water sports. If you’ve got access to a fast boat, you might want to have some fun and make a day of kicking up a wake showing off your water sports expertise? Take the family out for some wakeboarding or knee boarding as the all sports lakes give you all kinds of options.
Fishing. For those that love to fish, finding a good fishing hole shouldn’t be too hard to help you reel in a day of fun whether you’re roaming the lake in a killer fishing boat or fishing from shore.
Checklist for a Day at the Lake
A lake day itinerary can honestly be all over the map when you take into consideration the specific lake you’ll be visiting, the time of year, the weather, and your plan of attack. However, we’ve put together a list of popular lake and beach-related items that you can use as a checklist to make sure you cover your bases.
If the plan is to be in the sun for the majority of the weekend, the following list of items is an excellent place to start when it comes to the necessities to have on hand.
- A sunhat or glasses
- Sweatpants and sweatshirt
- Flip flops or water shoes
- Bluetooth speaker
- A receptacle for trash
- Something to eat
- A beach blanket and umbrella
Specialty lake items
The following items could be helpful for trips to the lake depending on what you’ll be doing. You may want to double check some of these prior to hitting the road.
- Games for the beach
- Wine key
- Tackle box
- Fishing gear
- Fishing and boating licenses
- Baby gear (if necessary)
- Inflatable pool toys
- Safety gear like life jackets
Lake Safety Tips
Of course a day on the lake can provide ample amounts of fun, safety should remain top of mind at all times. When you decide to spend a day at the lake here are some general safety tips to keep in mind.
- Always swim with a buddy
- Stay close to shore and avoid areas with shallow water or where the current is strong
- Avoid drinking alcohol while boating
- Have an emergency plan if you run into trouble on your watercraft
- Always wear sunblock
- Make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat
- Make sure children have swimmies or other approved flotation devices
More Tips for a Lake Getaway in Brookhaven
Not everyone has had a chance to make their way to the lakes near Brookhaven and likely have a few questions on ways to maximize their fun. Obviously, no matter where you go each lake will possess their own character and trappings, but you should keep in mind a handful of items to review while planning which could help put together a trip your whole family will remember.
- Maximize unique local resources. If you have time for a longer trip, look for local recreational areas, state parks, and campgrounds which give you the option to stay right on the water at an affordable price.
- No boat, no problem. If you’re near the water you’ll often find nearby marinas that offer boat rentals of all sizes. Boats are expensive to own, but a rental will still allow you to enjoy a day fishing on the lake or a day of watersports. Asking a local will usually help you find a marina that has what you need.
- Research your beaches. Depending on the time of year, sometimes beaches may be very busy. To find more space to yourself, research multiple lakes in the area to see if you can find one that’s less crowded to find one with a slower pace. If you want to be where the party’s at, search out the biggest, most popular sandy party scene!