Lakes Close to Parkersburg
The weather is warm and that means it’s time to plan your next family vacation. If you’re looking for a fun destination, consider visiting a lake near Parkersburg. Fortunately, when you come to Parkersburg there are some great spots when it comes to getting on, or in the water.
There are numerous brilliant motivations for a getaway to a lake in Parkersburg while it’s hot outside – the cool water for swimming, relaxing summer entertainment like boating, fishing or swimming. Some of the lakes in Parkersburg have beaches that are ideal for working on your tan. Has there ever been a better time? Pack up your vehicle with your fishing gear and a picnic basket then make the trip this weekend and discover your own number one location on a lake!
Lakes Close to Parkersburg
Help Us Out!:
Google Map Link:
Other Lakes in the Area:
A Day at the Lake: An Itinerary
A quick excursion to a lake, or a longer trip provides a nearly boundless amount of stuff for families or couples.
Now we’ll run down a list of some of the best things to do when you make your way to a Parkersburg lake:
Water sports. Should you be able to get access to a fast boat, you might want to have some fun and make a day of flying around the water showing off your water sports expertise? Hit the water and go wakeboarding, skiing, or tubing as the lakes near Parkersburg provide you with all kinds of options.
Have a picnic. The lakes near Parkersburg offer all sorts of excellent picnic areas partake in the enjoyment of your favorite tasty treats, or a quick snack while enjoying the scenery. For a romantic evening, good food and a view should be suitably romantic.
Canoeing, kayaking, or paddle boarding. If you want a little physical activity, strap your favorite kayak or paddleboard to the top of your vehicle and chart your course to a lake with a public launch and get out and soak up the scenery in all it’s glory.
Checklist for a Day at the Lake
Every day at the lake will have its own requirements based on which lake you go to, when you go, and what your perfect itinerary looks like. For your benefit, we put together a list for some ideas for your next summer trip to ensure nothing gets forgotten!
For a day spent on the water you’ll probably want to take along some of these things to make sure you’re safe, healthy, and having fun.
- A blanket or sheet
- Bathing suits
- A cooler with water bottles
- Dry shirt
- Flip flops or water shoes
- USB charger
- Plates, cups and utensils
- A sunhat or glasses
- Insect repellant
Specialty lake stuff
Depending on the itinerary at the lake and who will be in your entourage, the list of gear could make your day more enjoyable and worth packing before you make the trip.
- Fishing poles, nets, etc.
- Tackle box
- Safety gear like life jackets
- Beach toys (buckets, shovels, football, frisbee, etc.)
- Fishing and boating licenses
- Swimming goggles
- Paper towels and sanitizer
- Rafts and floaties
Lake Safety Tips
While your getaway at your favorite body of water can be lots of fun, you always have to keep safety in mind. When you decide to spend a day at the lake here are some important safety tips.
- Make sure no one swims alone
- Always wear a life jacket when boating, kayaking or paddle boarding
- Make sure children have swimmies or other approved flotation devices
- Avoid drinking alcohol while boating
- Be aware of your surroundings and know where you are in relation to land
- Always wear sunblock
- Stay close to shore and avoid areas with shallow water or where the current is strong
More Parkersburg Lake Tips
Not everyone has had a chance to visit the amazing lakes around Parkersburg and likely have a few questions regarding planning. Obviously, any body of water is going to have unique qualities and surroundings, but it’s worth noting a handful of items to look into when making plans that might help put together a trip your whole family will remember.
- Maximize the best assets in the area. When there’s time for a longer trip, find local state campgrounds and parks that offer the option to camp near or even on the water at an affordable price.
- Find a marina. Many lakes have nearby marinas that offer boat rentals. You don’t need to own a boat to enjoy a day fishing on the lake or taking the kids out for some wakeboarding or tubing. Using a search engine will usually help you find a marina that has what you need.
- Pay attention to the beaches. Early, mid, or late season, sometimes the beaches near Parkersburg might be very busy. To find more space to spread out, research multiple lakes and beaches to learn about how busy they are if you want a more relaxing vibe. To get in on the party, then look for the biggest, most happening beach!