Lakes Around San Marcos
The weather is warm so it’s time to plan your next family vacation. There aren’t many better options than a lake near San Marcos. As it turns out, when you make a trip to San Marcos there are lots of great spots for getting on, or in the water.
It doesn’t matter if you’re seeking to paddleboard, get active with water skiing, go swimming, or nap in the sand, the lakes near San Marcos offer you lots of beautiful locations for aquatic adventures. The time is now! Pack up your vehicle with your fishing gear and a cooler then hit the road this weekend to find a brand new number one location on the water!
Nearby Lakes for San Marcos
Help Us Out!:
Other Lakes in the Area:
A day trip, or a longer getaway provides an almost limitless list of activities for families, couples, or even those looking for some quiet time.
Here are some of our top picks for activities when you make your way to a lake near San Marcos:
Grab a board. If paddling is your thing, pack up your board of choice and find yourself a lake near San Marcos with a public boat launch you can use and start paddling around to enjoy nature’s beauty on the waterfront.
Partake in some delicious delights outside. San Marcos’s lakes provide many great picnic areas where you can enjoy tasty treats, or you could just do some cheese and crackers as you enjoy the view. For a romantic evening, this plan should be suitably romantic.
Water sports. If you’ve got access to a speed boat, why not get out on the water and start kicking up a wake demonstrating your athleticism and water sports skills? Hit the water and go wakeboarding or knee boarding as the all sports lakes give you several choices.
Checklist for a Day at the Lake
A day at the lake can vary quite a bit when you take into consideration which lake you’re going to, the weather forecast, and your plan of attack. For your convenience we’ve assembled a rundown of our favorite lake and beach-related items for you to use as a checklist for your getaway.
Common lake items
When the plan is to be outdoors for the majority of the day, our list of provisions below should be an excellent place to start when it comes to the necessities to have on hand.
- Trash bags (one for trash, one for wet items)
- Bluetooth speaker
- Something to dry off with
- Cooler, ice, beverages (always remember water!)
- Insect repellant
- Plates, cups and utensils
- Eye protection, a hat, or both
- USB charger
- Bathing suits
Specialty lake items
Take into consideration the itinerary for the day and your guests, the items below will likely be helpful and worth a quick spot check before you make the trip.
- Wine key
- Worms or other bait
- Paper towels and sanitizer
- Pool noodles, rafts, floats
- Goggles or masks
- Life jackets
- Diapers and baby gear
- Fishing gear
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
Lake Safety Tips
Of course spending a weekend to a lake in San Marcos can provide ample amounts of fun, safety should remain top of mind at all times. A day on the lake means safety first so here are some general safety tips to keep in mind.
- Don’t swim alone
- Make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat
- Have an emergency plan if you run into trouble on your watercraft
- Stay close to shore and avoid areas with shallow water or where the current is strong
- Avoid drinking alcohol while boating
- Avoid plants that can sting or cause allergic reactions
- Always wear sunblock
More San Marcos Lake Tips
When you make a trip to the fabulous lakes around San Marcos, there are a few things that will make your itinerary far more rewarding. Case in point, every lake near San Marcos is going to have unique qualities which makes it important to consider what will make for an enjoyable trip as you plan yours.
- No boat, no problem. It’s common that lakes will have local marinas that offer boat rentals. Boats are expensive to own, but a rental will still allow you to enjoy a relaxing day of fishing or tubing with the kids. Asking a local will typically allow you to find options for renting the perfect boat.
- Do homework on the beaches. Depending on the time of year, occasionally the beaches near San Marcos could be extremely busy. If you want some space to yourself, research multiple nearby beaches and lakes to see if you can find one that’s less crowded if you want a more relaxing vibe. To get in on the party, search out the biggest, most popular beach!
- Maximize unique local resources. If there’s time for a longer trip, look for local recreational areas, state parks, and campgrounds that offer the ability to stay directly on the water at an affordable price.