Lakes Close to Brownsville
It’s summertime and that means it’s time to start planning your upcoming family vacation. There aren’t many better options than a lake near Brownsville. A lake vacation can be wonderful for people who love wildlife too, because they offer opportunities to take in the local scenery and all that nature has to offer.
There are numerous brilliant reasons to visit a lake in Brownsville during the warmer months – the water is refreshing on hot days, fun summer entertainment like wakeboarding, fishing, or just relaxing on a raft. You’ll find that some lakes have beaches that are ideal for working on your tan. Don’t you deserve an enjoyable getaway? Pack up the car with your beach goodies and a cooler then make the trip this weekend and discover a brand new favorite location on the water!
Lakes Near Brownsville
Help Us Out!:
Other Lakes in the Area:
A Day at the Lake: An Itinerary
When you visit a lake near Brownsville there are many things to do for families and couples. You could go for an exciting day trip or take a longer vacation at a hotel or a bed and breakfast on the water to make the most of your time unwinding.
Any stay on or in the water gives you a full range of activities from thrilling to chilling.
Go for a swim. The swimming lakes near Brownsville offer tons of fun for the youngsters, or all the physical activity that an exercise junky could want in between working on their tan. Make sure to do your research and verify that your lake has a sandy beach and a designated swimming area prior to packing the car and the family! You know as well as we do that a swimming pool doesn’t offer as much to do as a magnificent public beach!
Partake in some delicious delights outside. The lakes near Brownsville gives you the chance to visit a wealth of excellent picnic areas where you can enjoy foods, or a quick snack while enjoying the scenery. For a romantic evening, a picnic on the beach is hard to beat.
Canoeing, kayaking, or paddle boarding. If you like to paddle around, strap your favorite kayak or paddleboard to the top of your vehicle and chart your course to a lake with a public boat launch you can use and get out and soak up the scenery on the waterfront.
Lake Getaway Prep
Every day at the lake will have its own requirements based on which lake you go to, what the weather is going to be, and what you want to do for entertainment. However, we’ve created a list with some of our favorite ideas for your lake getaway to ensure nothing gets forgotten!
When you’re out on a lake near Brownsville you will likely need to take along many of these things to make sure you’re safe, healthy, and getting the most out of your getaway.
- Plates, bowls, utensils, cups
- A cooler with water bottles
- Bathing suits
- UV protection
- Trash bags (one for trash, one for wet items)
- Bug spray
- A blanket or sheet
- Dry shirt
Additional lake gear
The list of items below could be helpful for excursions to the lake depending on what you’ll be doing. It’s also worth checking prior to hitting the road.
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
- Inflatable pool toys
- Tackle box
- Life jackets
- Baby gear (if necessary)
- Fishing poles
- Masks and snorkels
- Hand sanitizers or moist towelettes
- Something to read
Lake Safety Tips
Of course your getaway to the lake should be tons of fun, everyone’s safety needs to remain top of mind. If you’re going to be out on the water here are some general safety tips to keep in mind.
- Always swim with a buddy
- Keep children within arm’s reach at all times while swimming in deep water
- Have an escape plan for what to do if you get stuck on a boat that capsizes or tips over
- Make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat
- Avoid alcohol consumption before swimming, as it can impair judgment and result in drowning
- Avoid swimming near rocks or shallow water areas that may not be deep enough to dive underneath and escape from waves
- Use sunscreen, even if it’s cloudy outside
More Brownsville Lake Tips
When you make a trip to the beautiful lakes around Brownsville, you’ll want to remember a couple critical items that can make your itinerary substantially more rewarding. For example, every lake is going to have their own qualities and surroundings so it is important to think about what will make for an unforgettable trip as you plan yours.
- Research your beaches. If you pick the wrong time of year, occasionally beaches might be swarmed with tourists. To find some space to yourself, do some digging on a variety of lakes and beaches to see if you can find one that’s less crowded if you want a more relaxing vibe. If you want to be where the party’s at, then look for the busiest, most happening beach!
- Find a marina. If you’re near the water you’ll often find local marinas that offer boat rentals. Just because you don’t own a boat to enjoy fishing with family and friends or tubing with the kids. Using a search engine will typically allow you to find several places that can hook you up with the right vessel.
- Maximize unique assets in the area. If there’s time for a lengthier trip, look for local state parks and recreation areas that offer the option to stay near or even on the water for a reasonable price.