Lakes Around Norman
The weather is warm and that means it’s time to start planning your upcoming summer adventure. There aren’t many better options than a lake near Norman. A lake getaway can be wonderful for people who love wildlife too, as they are a great way to take in the local scenery and all that nature has to offer.
Whether you’re looking to float in a tube with a book, partake in some water skiing, go for a swim, or nap in the sand, the lakes near Norman provide you with lots of beautiful locations for aquatic fun. So what are you waiting for? Load up your vehicle with sunscreen and a picnic basket then make the trip your next day off to find your own favorite spot on a lake!
Nearby Lakes for Norman
Help Us Out!:
Other Lakes in the Area:
Things to Do at the Lake
A quick excursion to a lake, or a more lengthy trip provides a nearly boundless list of activities for people of all stripes.
Every getaway at the lake gives you everything from fun to relaxation.
Water sports. Should you be able to get access to a fast boat, why not get out on the water and start flying around the water demonstrating your athleticism and water sports talents? Hit the water and go tubing or skiing as the local lakes give you several choices.
Fishing. For those that love to fish, finding a good fishing hole shouldn’t be too hard to help you have a relaxing day with a line in the water whether you’re drifting behind a trolling motor or fishing from shore.
Go for a swim. Finding a swimming lake near Norman will provide all kinds of fun and excitement for the youngsters, or plenty of exercise for those looking to be active in between getting that perfect golden tan. If you want to spend time swimming and on the beach you’ll want to be sure your lake has a sandy beach and a designated swimming area prior to packing the car and the family! Admit it, even the nicest swimming pool doesn’t offer as much to do as a beautiful public beach on a lake near Norman!
How to Prepare for a Day at the Lake
Every day at the lake will have its own requirements depending on the lake you’re heading to, what time of year it is, and what you want to do for entertainment. While every trip is its own animal, we took the time to make a list for some ideas for your watery excursion to ensure nothing gets forgotten!
If the plan is to be in the sun for the majority of the weekend, the following list of items is a good place to start when it comes to the necessities to have on hand.
- Backup clothing
- Something to dry off with
- Bug spray
- Beach blanket
- Bluetooth speaker
- Garbage bags
- Tennis shoes
- Plates, bowls, utensils, cups
Specialty lake items
The gear in the list below can make your life easier for excursions to the lake depending on what your plans are. You may want to double check some of these before heading out.
- Fishing poles, nets, etc.
- Legal flotation devices
- Goggles or masks
- Beach toys (buckets, shovels, football, frisbee, etc.)
- Rafts and floaties
- Fishing and boating licenses
- Paper towels and sanitizer
- Diapers and baby gear
While the water can provide fun during a day on the lake, everyone’s safety is the most important part of your getaway. Here are some general tips that should ensure that you and your family stays safe while around the lake.
- Avoid swimming near rocks or shallow water areas that may not be deep enough to dive underneath and escape from waves
- Keep children within arm’s reach at all times while swimming in deep water
- Always swim with a buddy
- Always wear a life jacket when boating, kayaking or paddle boarding
- Have an emergency plan if you run into trouble on your watercraft
- Don’t mix alcohol with swimming
- Regularly apply sunblock throughout the day – following the product’s instructions
More Norman Lake Tips
When you make a trip to the one of a kind lakes around Norman, there are a few things that will make your itinerary far more rewarding. Case in point, every lake has unique qualities and surroundings so it is important to think about what you need to make an enjoyable adventure when planning yours.
- Make the most of the best assets in the area. When there’s time for a lengthier getaway, look for local state parks and recreation areas that offer the option to stay directly on the water for a reasonable price.
- Do homework on the beaches. Early, mid, or late season, sometimes the beaches near Norman can get extremely crowded. To find a little more privacy, research multiple lakes in the area to see if you can find one that’s less crowded if you want a more relaxing vibe. To get in on the party, search out the biggest, most popular sandy party scene!
- Find a marina. It’s common that lakes will have local marinas that offer boat rentals of all sizes. Just because you don’t own a boat to enjoy a day fishing on the lake or a day of watersports. Asking a local can typically allow you to find several places that can hook you up with the right vessel.