Lakes Near Decatur
Sometimes you just need to gather your family and friends and make time to be by the water. Lucky for you, when you come to Decatur there are lots of options when it comes to getting on, or in the water.
It doesn’t matter if you’re seeking to go kayaking, buzz around doing water skiing, go swimming, or just lounge at the beach, the lakes near Decatur offer you plentiful opportunities for aquatic activities. So what are you waiting for? Pack up the car with your fishing gear and a cooler then make the trip this weekend to find a brand new number one spot on a lake!
Nearby Lakes for Decatur
Help Us Out!:
Google Map Link:
Other Lakes in the Area:
A day trip to the lake, or a more lengthy getaway offers a nearly boundless list of things to do for couples or families.
Here are some of our top picks for activities when you arrive at a Decatur lake:
Go for a swim. Finding a swimming lake near Decatur will provide tons of laughs and games for the big kids and little ones, or plenty of exercise for those looking to be active in between getting that perfect golden tan. Make sure to do your research and verify that your lake has a nice swimming area and a sandy beach to spread out on prior to packing the car and the family! Admit it, even the nicest swimming pool doesn’t offer as much to do as a magnificent public beach on a lake near Decatur!
Pack a picnic basket. The lakes near Decatur gives you the chance to visit a wealth of great picnic areas partake in the enjoyment of your favorite tasty treats, or just a couple of sandwiches to enjoy as you enjoy the view. If you’re with that special someone, good food and a view should put a smile on their face.
Partake in some water sports. If you’re able to get access to a speed boat, why not get out on the water and start kicking up a wake demonstrating your athleticism and water sports skills? Take the family out for some wakeboarding, skiing, or tubing as the all sports lakes give you all kinds of options.
Everyone’s beach getaway will be unique depending on which lake you go to, what time of year it is, what your goals are for the getaway. While every trip is its own animal, we’ve created a list that will give some ideas for your lake getaway so everything goes smoothly!
Common lake items
If the plan is to be in the sun for the majority of the day, the list below should be an excellent place to start when it comes to the necessities you are likely to need.
- Bathing suits
- Something to eat
- Flip flops or water shoes
- Cooler, ice, beverages (always remember water!)
- A blanket or sheet
- UV protection
- Cords and a charger for portable devices
- Backup clothing
- Plastic grocery bags (for trash and/or wet clothes)
More lake gear
The following items could be helpful for getaways to the lake depending on what your plans are. It’s also worth checking before heading out.
- Toys for the beach
- Tackle box and lures
- Legal flotation devices
- Licenses and registration for boating and fishing
- Masks and snorkels
- Something to clean up with like sanitizers or wet wipes
- Diapers and baby gear
- Pool noodles, rafts, floats
- Your favorite magazine or book
Lake Safety Checklist
While it’s easy to get lost in a fun day at a lake near Decatur, failing to follow some simple safety rules can make things turn tragic in a hurry. Here are some general tips that should ensure that you and your family remains safe at your favorite Decatur lake.
- Avoid plants that can sting or cause allergic reactions
- Use sunscreen, even if it’s cloudy outside
- Make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat
- Avoid alcohol consumption before swimming, as it can impair judgment and result in drowning
- Avoid swimming near rocks or shallow water areas that may not be deep enough to dive underneath and escape from waves
- Make sure no one swims alone
- Have an escape plan for what to do if you get stuck on a boat that capsizes or tips over
More Tips for a Lake Getaway in Decatur
Few people get a chance to make their way to the lakes near Decatur and likely have some questions regarding planning. Obviously, each lake near Decatur will have their own character and surroundings, but it’s worth noting a couple key points to review when making plans that might help start your trip on the right foot.
- Find a marina. It’s common that lakes will have local marinas that offer boat rentals of all sizes. Boats are expensive to own, but a rental will still allow you to enjoy a relaxing day of fishing or tubing with the kids. Asking a local can typically help you locate several places that can hook you up with the right vessel.
- Maximize the best local resources. When you have time for a longer trip, find local recreational areas, state parks, and campgrounds that offer the option to stay directly on the water without breaking the bank.
- Pay attention to the beaches. If you pick the wrong time of year, sometimes beaches may be packed with tourists. If you want more space to spread out, research a variety of nearby beaches and lakes to learn about how busy they are if you want a more relaxing vibe. To get in on the party, search out the busiest, most happening beach!